VoIP Technical Support
Do you sometimes experience echo, broken or delayed speech, one-way audio, static, humming or buzzing, communication errors when faxing or long delays with your VoIP connection? Then use VoIP Mechanic for help with troubleshooting your VoIP service and how it is setup. We offer information to solve and correct common VoIP issues and other annoying problems.
With VoIP technology, the benefits vastly overwhelm the incidental inconveniences. Knowledge makes for good decisions and the better results.
VoIP Technical Support:
Troubleshooting VoIP problems can be a daunting task when confronted with all the possibilities that one needs to look at. They can include networking issues on the LAN, phone equipment and connections, ATA configurations, dialing plans, as well as problems occurring on the Internet. Add to this array wireless routers and bridges, NAT translation issues, firewalls, T1's, DSL and cable modems, and ISP connections and it is easy to see that there can be a lot to look at. For this reason, it is important to try to identify the problem first, and from there take logical steps to limit the possibilities causing the problem. The process of limiting the factors until the issue stops occurring, can be the best way to start troubleshooting.
For example, if there is a problem with static or buzz on the phone, the first step would be to reduce the connections and number of phones connected to the ATA. If, after having one phone connected directly to the ATA, by limiting all splitters and other devices between them and the issue still occurs, then take it one step further. Replace the phone in use. Does the problem still occur, or has the problem stopped? In this way, one can get to the root cause of the problem.
There are 4 main areas of issues:
● WAN Connectivity & the Internet
● Faxing Issues & other devices
Networking and LAN issues
Networking and LAN (local area network) issues are best described as problems in one of the following areas:
● Connectivity between one or more PC's and the Internet.
● Unable to make two way calls successfully from or to the phone connected directly to the IAD, even though there is dial tone. Check out how to configure Port Forwarding on your router.
● The router has an unusual light display.
● Sporadic loss or slowing of Internet connectivity, including calls going to dead silence or one-way audio.
Although these issues can occur at any given time, they are most likely to develop after a device has been added to an already existing network. If you are just installing your VoIP service for the first time, then topics under the VoIP Installation Issues would be best to search first.
Phone and Voice Quality
● Bad audio, including buzzing, screeching and delayed speech.
● Choppy voice, numerous dead spots in the incoming or outgoing voice. You may need to set QoS for your VoIP ATA.
● Long delays in voice transmission.
WAN Connectivity & the Internet
Internet issues can be caused by poor signal levels, faulty hardware or poor bandwidth. ISP connections and routing can both play significant roles in the quality of VoIP.
● Numerous power cycling to correct loss of Internet connectivity.
● Choppy voice, including dead spots in the conversation.
● Noticeably delay in voice, bad echo and distorted communication.
● Frequent issues with speed during certain periods of the day or evening.
● Calls getting fast busy, number not found, and other unusual results.
Faxing Issues & other devices
These issues are the easiest to identify. With faxing you usually get communication errors and other devices just may not work. Look to our VoIP Faxing pages for settings that will give you the best chance at success when faxing over a VoIP connection.
● Faxing errors, specifically communication errors.
● Alarm system integration.
● Dial up modems and devices that use them.
Our newsletter subscription is free and will include helpful tips, important news and other useful tidbits about VoIP. You will receive an email on a periodic basis, about once every four to six weeks. We respect your privacy and will not sell or distribute your address.